The election was not close.
Macron wins French presidency but hurdles remain in campaign to governEmmanuel Macron steps into his new role as France's President-elect. "Happy that the French have chosen a European future", he tweeted.
For the first time, none of France's traditional parties were represented in the final vote. Marechal-Le Pen won't seek a second term in parliament and is quitting her seat on the Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur regional council.
He added the movement will start the battle for the legislative elections and campaign under a new name: "La Republique En Marche".
French voters elected the centrist as the country's youngest president ever on Sunday, delivering a resounding victory to the unabashedly pro-European former investment banker. Speaking soon after the results in Paris, he said that a new page was being turned in French history.Читайте также: Senate intel panel subpoenas Flynn for Russia-related documents
Macron's opponent in the second round of the election, the far-right candidate Marinne Le Pen, was a bit of an exception to this rule. He also called for reform of the EU.
A cheering crowd of Macron's supporters gathered in front of the Louvre Museum in central Paris for a series of celebrate programs.
European Council President Donald Tusk also congratulated Macron, saying the French have chosen "liberty, equality, and fraternity". Macron will only be able to put his strategy into place by gaining the backing of a parliamentary majority and a handpicked, like-minded prime minister.
If France left the European Union, it might signal the end of the huge multinational organization.
Marine Le Pen quickly conceded the election on Sunday.
The defection highlights the disarray in the Socialist party, whose candidate Benoit Hamon attracted just six percent of votes in the first round of the presidential election.
Despite representing a fringe party on the extreme right, Le Pen still qualified for the presidential runoff and earned 11 million votes, more than double what her father, Jean-Marie Le Pen, got when he reached the presidential runoff in 2002.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Arsenal defeat Southampton to close gap on top four
- Trump insists no evidence of collusion with Russian Federation
- Urban Edge Properties (UE) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research
- 5 key points in memo calling for FBI Director James Comey's firing
- Sergei Lavrov, Russian foreign minister, jokes about Comey firing
- North Korea claims state-sponsored terrorism threats coming from White House
- Britain's main opposition gears up for June 8 elections
- Trump touts Australia's health system (to Bernie Sanders' delight)
- White House: Trump considered firing Comey since Election Day
- Valtteri Bottas wins his first Formula One Grand Prix