Shares in Snap plunged 24 per cent in after-hours trade to US$17.45 following the results.
Evan Spiegel, Snap's secretive 26-year-old CEO, told analysts on a conference call that he thinks about user growth "through the lens of creativity".
"People are going to copy your product if you build great stuff", Spiegel said.
The vague response did little to ease Snap's nosediving stock. The company, founded in 2011, lost more than $500 million a year ago on revenue of about $400 million, it disclosed in regulatory filings.
Year-on-year growth in users was 36%, slowing from 48% in the fourth quarter and 63% in the third quarter.
In an interview with CNBC, Snap's chief strategist Imran Khan said, "We made good progress this quarter improving the performance and quality of our Snapchat application, especially on Android, which has helped result in increased net user adds and engagement".Читайте также: Sky Sports interview cut short by Jose Mourinho
Since the Snap IPO, Facebook has been very aggressive about copying Snapchat. While the company's finances are less than stellar, the good news is that Snapchat's user base has grown a tremendous amount in just the a year ago. "Just because of Yahoo! has a search box doesn't mean they're Google".
Just two months into its life as a public company, Snap is struggling.
The social network argued during its earnings call that numerous teenage users it has can't be reached by traditional television or print advertising, according to the Verge.
The question has been whether Snap can quickly grow its user base and, in time, turn a profit.
Snap shares got destroyed in the aftermath of the social network's first earnings report, likely hitting younger investors the most, according to data from Wall Street brokers.
Shares in Twitter (NYSE:TWTR) and Facebook also slid after they posted debut scorecards. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to prevent investors from making a run for it. Twitter was hurt by concerns about slowing user growth (sound familiar?).При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Profund Advisors LLC Has $877000 Position in Discover Financial Services (DFS)
- CytRx (CYTR) Receiving Somewhat Favorable Press Coverage, Study Shows
- What Trump says Comey told him about being cleared
- Google VR Headsets Will Be Untethered And Fully Tracked
- Lookin At Lee eyes Preakness glory after strong run in Derby
- Trump Denies Pressuring Comey to End Flynn Probe
- Platform Specialty Products Corp's (PAH) Buy Rating Reaffirmed at Nomura
- US Senate Intel Committee Requests More Information From Comey, McCabe
- Senator: Trump Russia investigation appears to be criminal investigation
- Google Lens will change the way your smartphone camera sees the world