The World Health Organization says cholera has killed more than 240 people in Yemen in the last few weeks.
"We need to expect something that could go up to 200,000-250,000 cases over the next six months, in addition to the 50,000 cases that have already occurred", Nevio Zagaria.
"The speed of the resurgence of this cholera epidemic is unprecedented", World Health Organization country representative for Yemen Nevio Zagaria told reporters in a conference call, warning that there could be as many as 250,000 cases in the country within six months.
Cholera is highly contagious and can be contracted from ingesting contaminated food and water.
Fighting has taken a toll on medical facilities in the war-torn country, as more than half of Yemen's facilities, which are now operated by Houthi rebels, no longer function.
Beware of ransomware cyber attack in SA
While investigations continue, other cyber security companies are warning that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Security minister Ben Wallace said that the NHS had followed "pretty good procedures" in dealing with the attack.
Latest tallies show that the war on Yemen has so far killed over 12,000 Yemenis and wounded thousands more.
Highlighting the "underfunding of the health, water and sanitation sector", Zagaria urged the global community to support health workers, some of whom haven't been paid in over seven months.
"The population is using water sources that are contaminated", Zagaria said, referring to the lack of electricity, which subsequently led to the malfunction of water pumping stations as well as a damage to sewer systems.
He also recommended that efforts be directed towards treating water sources, repairing the sewers system and raising awareness through different methodologies including community mobilisation.
Zagaria said the United Nations agencies were preparing to "release an emergency response cholera plan in the next 48 hours", aimed at dramatically scaling up the number of treatment centres and rehydration centres.
Blizzard REVEALS new Skins and voice lines
No release date has been set, but since " Overwatch " came out on May 24, 2016, the event will likely kick off sometime next week. Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan recently suggested that the studio would be open to more Blizzard crossover content in the future.
At the same time, he said there was a dire need for funding to help Yemen authorities to make the necessary infrastructure repairs.
The cost in lives from this will be will be "extremely, extremely high", he said. Nigeria News and World News.
Do you ever have any question about anything you wish to ask and get answer?
Hello. Add your message here.
Car rams Times Square pedestrians, kills one, injures others
A vehicle rests on a security barrier in New York's Times Square after it plowed through a crowd of pedestrians on Thursday . An 18-year-old tourist from MI was killed and her 13-year-old sister was among the 22 injured, four of them critically.
- Pakistan says it does not accept ICJ's jurisdiction on security issues
- Trump decries special prosecutor probing Russian Federation links
- Everton set sights on transfer targets as Europe beckons
- Cisco cuts 1100 jobs as earnings disappoint
- Gisele Bundchen: Tom Brady 'Has Concussions Pretty Much Every' Year
- One dead, more than 20 injured in Times Square auto rampage
- Trump says he's 'very close' to naming an FBI director
- DAR installs 159 MARBAI farmers on Lapanday land
- Rs 350 Cr Offer to Prabhas's Saaho!
- Trump to embark on high-stakes 8-day trip overseas