Questioned about Comey's central claim that Trump told him to drop the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe into his former national security advisor Michael Flynn, Trump responded: "I didn't say that".
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I'm not hinting anything.
Comey: I was sacked to derail Russian Federation probe
He further denied ever asking Comey for his "loyalty", contradicting Comey's detailed allegations in his sworn testimony. Trump made no reference to James Comey in his remarks to the Faith and Freedom Coalition's annual gathering.
The noncommittal response leaves the door open to White House tapes, something that legal experts say would fall within the purview of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russia's 2016 election meddling and the Trump campaign's potential role.
Asked if he would be willing to give his version of events under oath, Trump replied: "100 percent".
The leaks referred to, which the president's personal lawyer is aiming to have investigated, are the release of memos made by Comey that documented his unusually frequent conversations with the president.
Top Intelligence Officials Mum on Interactions With President
The Justice Department on May 17 appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel to oversee the FBI investigation. Coats also responded to one question about the reports by saying he would answer questions during a closed hearing.
The way the Q&A unfolded, it certainly sounded as if Trump said he's prepared to testify under oath, which would raise the stakes on the investigation considerably.
The committee's chairman, Rep. Mike Conaway Texas, and the ranking Democrat, Rep. Adam Schiff of California, have asked White House Counsel Don McGahn whether any such tapes or memos exist now, or had existed in the past, according to The Associated Press.
Pressed on the attorney general's "interactions with the Russians or his behavior with regard to the investigation", Comey said Sessions "was very close to and inevitably going to recuse himself for a variety of reasons".
Durant Silence Cavs; Take 3-0 Series Lead
Green took it hard when the Cavaliers took advantage of his absence in game five to win and captured games six and seven. After the Korver miss, Durant hit his monster 3-pointer with James closing for the lead, 114-113, that never evaporated.
- Donald Trump slams James Comey after accusations on lying
- Sri Lanka chase big total to beat India at ICC Champions Trophy
- Police release man held in connection with Manchester attack
- One killed, dozens injured after church bus overturns near Atlanta
- Durbin Said Comey Wins The Battle Of Trustworthiness Against President Trump
- No panic for Qld after opening Origin loss
- Trump blasts 'crooked Hillary' for blaming others for election loss
- New Brand—Endless Opportunities
- Liberty Baptist plans Vacation Bible School
- Youssef Zaghba: Full Story & Must-See Details On London Terrorist