The Seattle-based online shopping and data storage giant announced today that it would be purchasing Austin-based organic grocery chain Whole Foods Market Inc. for $42 (all figures USD) per share, or $13.7 billion.
Amazon already runs an online grocery store, AmazonFresh, but adding Whole Foods' 460 US, Canadian and United Kingdom stores will greatly expand its reach.
Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, meanwhile, said that Whole Foods has been "doing an fantastic job" of "satisfying, delighting and nourishing customers for almost four decades... and we want that to continue".
Donald Trump being personally investigated for obstruction of justice
As the briefing was wrapping up, Trump asked everyone to leave the room except for Coats and CIA Director Mike Pompeo. Ruddy, who had been at the White House on Monday, told PBS that Trump is considering terminating the special counsel.
Amazon is adding the grocery game to its ever expanding markets of goods, services, and entertainment.
Amazon's US-listed shares were up 2.5pc in morning trading, while Whole Foods shares skyrocketed 27pc.
Whole Foods, which has faced pressure from activist investors, will continue to operate stores under its brand and will be led by co-founder and chief executive John Mackey, the companies said.
Escaped Georgia inmates caught in Tennessee
Authorities in Tennessee have released audio of a 911 call from a man whose home was invaded by two escaped inmates from Georgia. The incident set off a manhunt involving local, state and federal officers, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said.
Amazon and Whole Foods expect to close the deal during the second half of 2017. At the time, Mackey said, "Our business is strong with record revenue of $15.7 billion, and over $1 billion in operating cash flow in 2016".
In May, under pressure from Jana Partners, Whole Foods replaced five board members and its chief financial officer.
Bear attack injures three children
It took a half hour to round up the hikers, three of whom were transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Anchorage police are now correcting the ages of the three people involved in the Eagle River bear attack on Wednesday.
"These people, they just want to sell Whole Foods Market and make hundreds of millions of dollars, and they have to know that I'm going to resist that", Mackey told Texas Monthly.
- Ted Nugent completely flip-flops on political rhetoric in this bombshell interview
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 has multiple paths to the end
- Yamana Gold Inc. (NYSE:AUY) Sees The Needle Move on Volume
- Russian cargo craft 'Progress 67' successfully docks with International Space Station!
- Featured Stock for Investors: Gilead Sciences Inc. (GILD)
- Lincoln National Corporation (LNC) Receives Hold Rating from Wells Fargo & Company
- Leicester close to completing Jakupovic deal
- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd
- Citigroup Inc. Reaffirms Buy Rating for Drax Group Plc (DRX)
- Jose Mourinho's Man United promise to Alvaro Morata revealed