Friday, 18 August 2017
Latest news
Main » London Mayor Sadiq Khan: Dated UK tower blocks could be torn down

London Mayor Sadiq Khan: Dated UK tower blocks could be torn down

19 June 2017

"Sadly, at this time there are 58 people who we have been told were in the Grenfell Tower on the night that are missing, and therefore sadly, I have to assume that they are dead", he said.

Police Commander Stuart Cundy said the number of 58 is based on reports from the public and may rise.

Labour Party lawmaker David Lammy said that the government and the police should immediately seize all documents relating to the building's renovation to prevent the destruction of evidence that could show criminal wrongdoing.

However, the identification of the other victims is proving very hard - which experts attribute to the extreme heat of the fire.

Appearing on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, Mr Hammond said: "My understanding is the cladding in question, this flammable cladding which is banned in Europe and the USA, is also banned here".

Many residents of the building remain unaccounted for, and police said numerous remains may never be identified.

Brooks Koepka caps a record week with US, Open title
The 356 yard par-four 15th was the not only the toughest hole of Sunday's final round but proved key swing in the trophy chase . He joined McIlroy (2011 at Congressional) and Tiger Woods (12-under at Pebble Beach in 2000) as the only players to win a U.S.

Experts believe the exterior cladding, which contained insulation, helped spread the flames quickly along the outside of the tower in the Wednesday morning blaze that has killed at least 58 people.

Mohammad Alhajali, 23, has been identified as one of the victims who died in a fire at a residential high-rise building in London, June 14, 2017.

Residents say they were ignored and want the government to take responsibility.

The cause of Wednesday's blaze is still under investigation, but anger has mounted in the community amid reports that exterior paneling used in an extensive renovation completed a year ago may have been banned by United Kingdom rules.

The group said: "In our meeting at Downing Street, we explained to the Prime Minister the anger of all residents towards the management of the estate over a long period of time, paving the way to this tragedy". She and Prince William visited fire survivors Friday.

The NSW Master Builders Association said the danger lies in imported products that do not meet safety requirements.

Why a fairy-tale Cristiano Ronaldo return is still on the cards
If there is any club capable of spending such insane kinds of money it is Manchester United , so don't be surprised if it happens. The FC crew evaluate Cristiano Ronaldo's future with Real Madrid and assess the possibility of a Manchester United return.

"There is also a lot of anger and frustration at the lack of any kind of presence here of the local council". May has faced a barrage of criticism for the government's initial response to the tragedy at Grenfell Tower.

The tragedy has provoked a huge response from nearby communities that have donated food and shelter to the victim. More than three million pounds ($3.8m) have been raised for the affected families. Numerous displaced are living in churches and community centres.

So far, 109 families have been given temporary accommodation by in hotels within the local area, Gallego said.

"But it is still not 100 percent certain if they will be [permanently] re-housed in the borough".

Fire safety experts believe that cladding put on the building's exterior during a renovation previous year was less fire retardant, which may have fueled the blaze. British officials have ordered a review of other buildings that have had similar renovations. "We'll get to the bottom of this", she said.

"Until we do that, we can not look at anything other than staying with the same advice, which has kept people safe in their buildings". The management organization said it was aware of the complaints made by residents, but that it was "too early to speculate what caused the fire and contributed to its spread".

This is the dream midfield duo for Aston Villa next season
He told L'Equipe: "I want to play in Europe, in a club that plays on all fronts". "I've been placed on the transfer list". The 23-year-old French full-back was an ever-present for Villa last season after joining from Nice in 2015.

Two government ministers - Treasury chief Philip Hammond and Trade Minister Greg Hands - said yesterday the cladding used on the building's exterior seems to be banned by British regulations.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan: Dated UK tower blocks could be torn down