The summer solstice is the day of the year with the most daylight.
Here are some facts to know about the first day of summer.
The word "solstice" is from the Latin "solstitium" from sol (sun) and stitium (to stop), meaning the sun standing still.
Seattle officer in fatal shooting: 'I don't have a taser'
It was unclear what relationship the children had with Lyles , but police say they were being cared for by other family members. The officers will meet with police union officials and create a story that revolves around how they "feared for their life".
Why does the solstice occur?
The solstice happens twice annually due to the Earth's axis of rotation, and known as the summer and winter solstice.
"During the summer solstice the Northern Hemisphere of Earth is tilted towards the sun resulting in increased sunlight and warmer temperatures".
UK To Announce Position On EU Citizens' Rights This Week
Those were, he said, the rights of expatriate citizens and problems of a new EU-UK border, notably cutting across Ireland. Barnier has said a divorce deal should be ready by October next year to give time for parliamentary approval.
Although June 21 will be the longest day in 2017, it does not necessarily mean that it brings the earliest sunrise or latest sunset.
The actual Summer Solstice takes place June 20. On that day, the sun won't rise until about 7:29, and it'll be down by 4:29.
The longest day of 2017, for anyone living north of the Equator, is June 21.
NASA Discovers 219 New Planets with Kepler Mission; 10 Are Earth-Size
One of the research groups was able, thanks to the data provided by Kepler, to make precise measurements of thousands of planets. NASA recently announced on Twitter that they have "identified 219 potential new worlds".
About 20,000 people usually gather at the ancient stone circle for the pagan festival associated with renewal, fertility and harvest. That is called the summer solstice. The sun is at its highest angle out of any other time of the year. There's more heating during our summer, making it hot, less heating during the winter, equating to cold air. The duration of the spring season was 93 days this year, while the summer season will also last for 93 days until the Autumn Equinox on August 22, QCH adds.
- Should Investors Be Buying Biogen (NASDAQ:BIIB) Stock Following Today's UBS Upgrade?
- Reduces Position in Walt Disney Company (The) (DIS)
- Monday morning rain, with afternoon sun
- US Reports a Major Milestone in Wind and Solar Power
- Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE:MRO), Post Holdings Inc (NYSE:POST)
- Carla Fendi, philanthropist and fashion force, dies at 79
- Brutal slaying near mosque stemmed from road rage
- Mom attacked 11-year-old daughter in attempted exorcism
- Trump meets Poroshenko for brief 'drop-in' visit
- Perez Sells 29282 Shares of Coca-Cola Company (The) (KO) Stock