The summer solstice is the day of the year with the most daylight.
Here are some facts to know about the first day of summer.
The word "solstice" is from the Latin "solstitium" from sol (sun) and stitium (to stop), meaning the sun standing still.
Corrie's Eva breaks baby bombshell to love rat Aidan
With the thought of becoming a mum on her mind, Eva will be shocked to learn that her fiancé has been having an affair with Maria. Aidan will fail to spot a text from Eva as he's canoodling with his secret lover, which reveals that she is coming home early.
Why does the solstice occur?
The solstice happens twice annually due to the Earth's axis of rotation, and known as the summer and winter solstice.
"During the summer solstice the Northern Hemisphere of Earth is tilted towards the sun resulting in increased sunlight and warmer temperatures".
Halma plc (LON:HLMA) has analysts on the Bullish side this week
After $1.04 actual EPS reported by Dow Chemical Co for the previous quarter, Wall Street now forecasts 0.00% EPS growth. Susquehanna Int Gru Limited Liability Partnership stated it has 0% of its portfolio in FirstGroup plc (LON:FGP).
Although June 21 will be the longest day in 2017, it does not necessarily mean that it brings the earliest sunrise or latest sunset.
The actual Summer Solstice takes place June 20. On that day, the sun won't rise until about 7:29, and it'll be down by 4:29.
The longest day of 2017, for anyone living north of the Equator, is June 21.
China welcomes Rodman's visit to N. Korea
Yun insisted on Warmbier's immediate release on humanitarian grounds , officials said, and the North Koreans agreed. Governments from around the world also looked down upon the North Korean court's decision.
About 20,000 people usually gather at the ancient stone circle for the pagan festival associated with renewal, fertility and harvest. That is called the summer solstice. The sun is at its highest angle out of any other time of the year. There's more heating during our summer, making it hot, less heating during the winter, equating to cold air. The duration of the spring season was 93 days this year, while the summer season will also last for 93 days until the Autumn Equinox on August 22, QCH adds.
- Perez Sells 29282 Shares of Coca-Cola Company (The) (KO) Stock
- Bernie Sanders calls out Senate Republicans for secrecy surrounding health care negotiations
- Adele visits Grenfell Tower firefighters for a "tea and a cuddle"
- SHERLOCK and DOCTOR WHO Showrunner Steven Moffat Creating New DRACULA TV Series
- UK To Announce Position On EU Citizens' Rights This Week
- 76ers trade for No. 1 overall pick in Thursday's draft
- Brutal slaying near mosque stemmed from road rage
- Adele visits firefighters who rescued Grenfell Tower residents
- Tropical storm warning issued for southeast Louisiana coastline
- Mom attacked 11-year-old daughter in attempted exorcism