After weeks of secret discussions, Senate Republicans unveiled their plan to overhaul the nation's health care system on Thursday and it calls for severe cuts to Medicaid much like the version passed by the House of Representatives in May. "Our lives and liberty shouldn't be stolen to give a tax break to the wealthy".
Protesters angry over cuts to Medicaid in the Senate Republicans' health care bill filled a hallway outside of Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's office Thursday.
ADAPT, a nonprofit group that advocates for people with disabilities, organized the "die-in" protest, bringing dozens to the Russell Senate Office.
NBA Draft 2017: Celtics GM Danny Ainge sounds off on Josh Jackson
His most immediate contribution probably will be made as an extension of the Celtics' clawing defensive culture. Jackson, who wrote a letter of apology, was ordered to undergo anger management and perform community service.
As the ACLU put it, "We can't believe this needs to be said, but it's not okay to drag people out of wheelchairs when they're protesting legislation".
Some were physically removed by the Capitol Police. Those who didn't comply with the officers' warnings were arrested and charged with crowding and obstructing, even if that meant being pulled from their wheelchairs and carried out against their will.
"Many of the demonstrators, as part of their protest activities, removed themselves from their wheelchairs and lay themselves on the floor, obstructing passage through the hallway and into nearby offices", the police statement read.
Effort to shield some from deportation stays
President Trump is keeping the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals ( DACA) program in place, at least for the short term. The Trump administration will continue to allow reprieve for immigrants who illegally entered the U.S.as children.
U.S. Capitol Police remove a protester from in front of the office of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
For people with disabilities, Medicaid pays for everything from traditional health services like doctor and hospital visits to personal care attendants, employment and behavior supports, assistive technology and other offerings that allow individuals to live in the community.
The Senate bill would, beginning in 2020, phase out over four years extra money that Obamacare offered to states that expanded Medicare coverage for low-income people, The Associated Press reported.
Uber CEO Resigns at Board's Urging
Outside experts said the only way to change Uber's culture was for Kalanick to step aside. The board has lightly been pressuring leadership out and driving organizational change.
- Andrew Desiderio (@desiderioDC) June 22, 2017People with disabilities protesting Medicaid cuts.
- The Senate's New 142-Page Healthcare Bill Very Literally Leaves Women Out
- Health bill test of McConnell's leadership skills
- After string of defeats, Democrats rudderless in Trump era
- Britain's Prince Philip hospitalized but in 'good spirits'
- Firework sales underway, firefighters warn of injury and fire risks
- Presidential Election 2017: Ram Nath Kovind files nomination in PM Modi's presence
- LSU beats top seed Oregon State to reach CWS final
- Striker Diego Costa hard to replace at Chelsea, says Frank Lampard
- Lakers Choose Lonzo Ball With Second Pick in 2017 NBA Draft
- Bellator set for PPV splash with biggest card at the Garden