Chelsea were down to 10 men with 14 minutes gone when captain Cahill was dismissed for a lunging challenge on Steven Defour, and they fell behind with 24 minutes gone as Sam Vokes guided the ball past Thibaut Courtois. Chelsea substitute Alvaro Morata reduced the deficit with a header of his own within minutes of being introduced off the bench, but Cesc Fabregas was sent off for a second yellow card in the 81st minute.
Six minutes before half-time, left-back Stephen Ward made it 2-0 in stunning fashion.
Asked whether he sensed the champions were vulnerable without Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Pedro and Tiemoue Bakayoko, he added: "I don't think so".
Eclipse offers rare opportunity to study sun, atmosphere, animals
The total eclipse will only be visible in a narrow 67-mile stretch of the country running from OR to SC . This only happens about every 6 months, such as August 2017 when the moon is on the line of nodes.
It took 40 minutes before Luiz launched Chelsea's first shot in anger high over the bar.
Jeremie Boga, a 20-year-old French forward, was even given a debut.
Conte feared Chelsea were less than ready for this title defence, admitting on Friday he agreed with those who did not list his team among the favourites to win the Premier League.
The result will not improve the mood of Chelsea manager Antonio Conte, who hasn't hidden his frustration at failing to significantly bolster his squad in the offseason.
Gold, silver gain on rising tension between US-North Korea
Trump's comments followed reports the North has mastered a technology needed to strike the United States with a nuclear missile. Global stock markets are firmly in the red after another escalation of tensions between North Korea and the United States .
Mauricio Pellegrino had to settle for a point in his first match as Southampton manager as his side wasted a series of chancs.
The 2017/18 Premier League season is finally under way and here's what happened on the opening Saturday...
"We tried to keep the ball second half and contain them, but they're a fine side, they threw caution to the wind because they had nothing to lose". That it took until a 2-0 win at Crystal Palace on April 29 to pick up their first away victory says an bad lot.
Gold price rises about $2
Non-OPEC production will get a health check later today when the Baker Hughes U.S. rig count is published at 1:00 p.m. Offsetting the declines was a 0.4 percent gain by the materials group, which includes gold producers.
- Pochettino promises Spurs spending before transfer window shuts
- Gold prices surge in Dubai, will it rise further?
- Stock markets lower, gold price continues to rise amid political tensions
- Stocks slide on continued concern over tension between United States and North Korea
- Tensions over North Korea weigh on stocks but boost gold
- Futures lower as North Korea tensions linger
- Guardiola: I'm Not Under Pressure, City Won't Spend Big Again
- Pep Guardiola forecasts end to Manchester City spending spree
- North Korea tensions drag down stocks but boost gold
- Conte on Pedro, Morata, Wenger's comments and Chelsea's search for players