Chelsea were down to 10 men with 14 minutes gone when captain Cahill was dismissed for a lunging challenge on Steven Defour, and they fell behind with 24 minutes gone as Sam Vokes guided the ball past Thibaut Courtois. Chelsea substitute Alvaro Morata reduced the deficit with a header of his own within minutes of being introduced off the bench, but Cesc Fabregas was sent off for a second yellow card in the 81st minute.
Six minutes before half-time, left-back Stephen Ward made it 2-0 in stunning fashion.
Asked whether he sensed the champions were vulnerable without Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Pedro and Tiemoue Bakayoko, he added: "I don't think so".
North Korea Threat: US, Japanese troops prepare for war
This comes after North Korea threatened to attack Guam earlier this week, following President Trump's " fire and fury " warning. Flatter flight paths could make them more threatening to extended targets, including, it now appears, the area around Guam .
It took 40 minutes before Luiz launched Chelsea's first shot in anger high over the bar.
Jeremie Boga, a 20-year-old French forward, was even given a debut.
Conte feared Chelsea were less than ready for this title defence, admitting on Friday he agreed with those who did not list his team among the favourites to win the Premier League.
The result will not improve the mood of Chelsea manager Antonio Conte, who hasn't hidden his frustration at failing to significantly bolster his squad in the offseason.
If North Korea attacks United States , it 'will regret it fast'
The Pacific Command, headquartered in Hawaii, determines if the missile poses a threat to Japan , South Korea, Guam or Hawaii. China, North Korea's only major ally, called on both countries to avoid the "old road" of escalating hostilities.
Mauricio Pellegrino had to settle for a point in his first match as Southampton manager as his side wasted a series of chancs.
The 2017/18 Premier League season is finally under way and here's what happened on the opening Saturday...
"We tried to keep the ball second half and contain them, but they're a fine side, they threw caution to the wind because they had nothing to lose". That it took until a 2-0 win at Crystal Palace on April 29 to pick up their first away victory says an bad lot.
Gold price rises about $2
Non-OPEC production will get a health check later today when the Baker Hughes U.S. rig count is published at 1:00 p.m. Offsetting the declines was a 0.4 percent gain by the materials group, which includes gold producers.
- Girl's face severely burned when another girl pours boiling water on her
- Seadrill Limited (SDRL) Upgraded to Hold by BidaskClub
- Stocks slide on continued concern over tension between United States and North Korea
- Rooney scores as Everton beats Stoke 1-0 in Premier League
- Charlottesville: State of emergency over USA far-right rally
- Arsenal beat Leicester in breathtaking Premier League opener
- City to rein in spending spree: Guardiola
- Conor McGregor shows off boxing moves during open workout in Las Vegas
- North Korea tensions drag down stocks but boost gold
- Stock markets lower, gold price continues to rise amid political tensions