Markets are hopeful that the uptick in inflation will place more pressure on the Bank of England (BoE) to start tightening monetary policy, as the continual rise in prices erodes consumer spending power and weakens the UK's all important service sector.
According to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), fashion costs rose at an annual rate of 4.6% in August.
As a result, core inflation jumped to 2.7 per cent, above consensus expectations of 2.5 per cent.
Inflation rose to 2.36 percent in July, after falling for three straight months.
Millions Without Power As Irma Pounds Florida
Chief Meteorologist Paul Dellegatto said the long awaited turn to the northwest should occur later on Saturday. In downtown Miami, two of the two dozen construction cranes looming over the skyline collapsed in the wind.
The higher-than-predicted figure could meanwhile put pressure on the Bank of England to raise its key interest rate from a record-low level sooner than expected, although it is not forecast to make any change at Thursday's regular policy meeting. Monthly inflation also matched flash figure.
Fuel inflation remained almost flat, witnessing 4.94 percent growth in August, as compared with 4.84 percent in July.
"The jump in CPI inflation in August largely was driven by retailers pushing through big price rises in response to sterling's depreciation", said Samuel Tombs, chief United Kingdom economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics.
· Inflation now looks likely to move just above 3% in the near-term, but there remains a good chance that this will be the peak barring sustained renewed sterling weakness.
Gurgaon school murder: Protests outside Ryan International school in Navi Mumbai
According to the pleas, the Pintos read newspaper reports saying the public outcry was for also booking the management. Jyoti, Pradyuman's mother, told the media, "My son did not even know the bus conductor as he never travelled in bus".
Motor fuels were also pushing the overall cost of living higher, with fuels and lubricants rising 1.6 per cent month-on-month in August following a 1.3 per cent fall previous year.
In the last month, July, the retail inflation was chiefly driven by hardening of prices in sugar and confectionery items, pan, tobacco, and intoxicants.
Clothing and footwear price inflation has recorded a rise of 4.58% in prices. The CPIH rate of inflation hit 2.7%, up from 2.6% a month earlier.
At 16:00 GMT the FxWirePro's Hourly Strength Index of British Pound was highly bullish at 158.196, while the FxWirePro's Hourly Strength Index of US Dollar was neutral at 54.3853.
Georgia, Hurricane Irma's next potential victim, braces for monster storm
Those periods of intense wind and rain will continue throughout the evening and will start to taper off by early Tuesday morning. By Monday afternoon, more than 800,000 Georgia Power and EMC customers mostly in coastal and south Georgia were without power.
Another report from ONS showed that output price inflation accelerated for the first time in six months in August. This meant that real incomes fell by 0.5% in June.
- Cleanup begins as Irma moves out of Florida
- Mark Hughes calls Jose Mourinho's Stoke comments an 'easy swipe'
- Gillibrand joins train of Dem 2020 hopefuls backing Medicare-for-all
- USA to face one of the most risky hurricanes ever
- Irma expected to weaken to tropical depression by Tuesday afternoon
- Manchester City vs. Liverpool: Starting Lineups & TV Information
- Gold slips from one-year high as dollar recovers
- Ahmedabad all set to welcome Shinzo Abe, tweets Modi
- UCLA Matches Berkeley as the Nation's Top Public University
- Bale admits "there is an argument" for his Real Madrid exit