The Playboy founder's son has remembered his dad in a tribute praising him for being a trailblazer in pushing for free speech and sexual freedom with his magazine empire. He died peacefully at his home in Los Angeles, his son said in a statement.
The wide availability of adult content - on pay channels and online - made Playboy's pictorials "passé", the magazine noted when announcing that it was dispensing with nudity in 2015. Hefner's daughter, Christie, was CEO of Playboy Enterprises for more than 20 years.
"I tried the more traditional way of living life, but it really didn't work for me", he said.
Jenny McCarthy: RIP Hefner.
"I've lived out dreams and fantasies and played some part in changing the world", Hefner once told Vanity Fair. You will be greatly missed!
Trump, GOP weigh surtax on wealthy, doubled deduction
He said "I hope" the top corporate tax rate will be cut to 15 percent from the current 35 percent. "I'm not going to negotiate". While Trump claimed parts of his tax proposal would hurt his wallet, he seemed sure the plan would bolster his popularity.
Author and Rolling Stone journalist Neil Strauss recalled Hefner's words about his childhood, and Hefner telling his mother "Mom, anything that you may have done that was less than ideal was a blessing".
The Weeknd: RIP Hugh Hefner. Was such an interesting man.
"He came out onto the staircase landing and he looked down and there were about 12 of us bunnies there. I must be doing something right. you're all still so handsome'".
The man affectionately known as Hef created and guided the Playboy brand for half a century, helping to usher in the freewheeling '60s and making a mark on that decade's significant effect on movies, TV and pop culture.
Hefner, who told Esquire in 2013 that he bedded "over a thousand" women, said he was happy to have found a partner again "at this stage in life".
Roy Moore wins the Republican nomination for US Senate
Moore will face the Democratic nominee, Doug Jones , a former United States attorney, in the general election on December 12". Moore may be a more natural fit, but Trump appreciates that odd has supported his agenda and been a reliable vote. "Mr.
Hefner would win civil liberties awards for his support of progressive social causes, and understood the importance of optics, inviting black guests to his televised parties at a time when much of the nation still had Jim Crow laws.
- "Hugh Hefner put me in Playboy & ignited my career. I am forever indebted, Hef", she tweeted. "You will forever live on as an icon of epic proportions." - actress and former Playboy model Donna D'Errico on Twitter.
Norman Lear: We've lost a true explorer, a man who had a keen sense of the future.
In a lengthy caption she credited Hugh with helping her rise to fame, noting: "I am me because of you".
And Hefner, who had been an aspiring cartoonist in his youth, also encouraged a new style of comedy.
Jack Nicklaus on national anthem protests: 'There is a time and place'
It's fresh again this year, I'd say. "What do you guys want to do?' There wasn't a hesitation on what they wanted to do", he said. Equally uncertain is whether Wood will be able to rekindle his old magic, if and when he ever gets back on the course.
- Zinedine Zidane says Real Madrid 'brilliant' in win over Borussia Dortmund
- Wichita murder up, but rape and robberies down — Federal Bureau of Investigation report
- Trump wants rule to stop National Football League players from kneeling during anthem
- Detroit Lions fans: How outraged should you be about that final play?
- Oil Prices Dip, but Bullish Sentiment Persists
- No vote this week on GOP health care bill
- Pitbull offers up private jet for Puerto Rican cancer patients
- Boeing says committed to United Kingdom , listened to concerns over N Ireland jobs
- Donald Trump: 'Big progress being made' after Cowboys' pre-anthem protest
- Puerto Rico requires relief and rebuilding