The Playboy founder's son has remembered his dad in a tribute praising him for being a trailblazer in pushing for free speech and sexual freedom with his magazine empire. He died peacefully at his home in Los Angeles, his son said in a statement.
The wide availability of adult content - on pay channels and online - made Playboy's pictorials "passé", the magazine noted when announcing that it was dispensing with nudity in 2015. Hefner's daughter, Christie, was CEO of Playboy Enterprises for more than 20 years.
"I tried the more traditional way of living life, but it really didn't work for me", he said.
Jenny McCarthy: RIP Hefner.
"I've lived out dreams and fantasies and played some part in changing the world", Hefner once told Vanity Fair. You will be greatly missed!
Thunder's Westbrook calls OKC "the place where I want to be"
Melo, throughout his career, has been one of the league's top scorers, but rarely with a high shooting percentage. Since being traded over the weekend to the Oklahoma City Thunder , Carmelo Anthony looks like a new man.
Author and Rolling Stone journalist Neil Strauss recalled Hefner's words about his childhood, and Hefner telling his mother "Mom, anything that you may have done that was less than ideal was a blessing".
The Weeknd: RIP Hugh Hefner. Was such an interesting man.
"He came out onto the staircase landing and he looked down and there were about 12 of us bunnies there. I must be doing something right. you're all still so handsome'".
The man affectionately known as Hef created and guided the Playboy brand for half a century, helping to usher in the freewheeling '60s and making a mark on that decade's significant effect on movies, TV and pop culture.
Hefner, who told Esquire in 2013 that he bedded "over a thousand" women, said he was happy to have found a partner again "at this stage in life".
Michy Batshuayi Produces A Typically Incredible Tweet After Dramatic Winner Against Atletico
The Chelsea fans have already moved on from Costa and Morata could yet still prove just as much of a hero as his global teammate. The striker publicly angled for a return to Atletico , where he had moved from in the summer of 2014 to join Chelsea .
Hefner would win civil liberties awards for his support of progressive social causes, and understood the importance of optics, inviting black guests to his televised parties at a time when much of the nation still had Jim Crow laws.
- "Hugh Hefner put me in Playboy & ignited my career. I am forever indebted, Hef", she tweeted. "You will forever live on as an icon of epic proportions." - actress and former Playboy model Donna D'Errico on Twitter.
Norman Lear: We've lost a true explorer, a man who had a keen sense of the future.
In a lengthy caption she credited Hugh with helping her rise to fame, noting: "I am me because of you".
And Hefner, who had been an aspiring cartoonist in his youth, also encouraged a new style of comedy.
Jack Nicklaus on national anthem protests: 'There is a time and place'
It's fresh again this year, I'd say. "What do you guys want to do?' There wasn't a hesitation on what they wanted to do", he said. Equally uncertain is whether Wood will be able to rekindle his old magic, if and when he ever gets back on the course.
- UP govt draws widespread criticism over BHU violence
- Detroit Lions fans: How outraged should you be about that final play?
- No vote this week on GOP health care bill
- Wichita murder up, but rape and robberies down — Federal Bureau of Investigation report
- Finally, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry make their first public appearance
- Boeing says committed to United Kingdom , listened to concerns over N Ireland jobs
- Senate GOP pulls Graham-Cassidy bill to avoid vote defeat
- Saudi Arabia wins plaudits for ending ban on women driving
- Zinedine Zidane says Real Madrid 'brilliant' in win over Borussia Dortmund
- Donald Trump: 'Big progress being made' after Cowboys' pre-anthem protest