The World Health Organization (WHO) joined individuals, organizations and United Nations partners worldwide in marking the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).
"Tuti Island is a shining example of how a community can initiate and sustain an effort to end FGM", says Dr Wisal Ahmed, team leader in WHO Sudan's Women's Health Unit.
"It also requires policy and legal reforms that support gender equality, the empowerment of women and girls, and respect for their human rights".
"UNFPA remains committed to supporting communities in fighting to end this harmful practice, which has no place in the 21st century", said Dr. Kanem. Many communities also believe that FGM reduces the libido of female-bodied people - and so will prevent them from conducting extra-marital affairs.
Carried out in secret and often without anaesthetic, FGM involves the partial or total removal of external female genitalia for non-medical reasons.
Winter Weather Advisory in effect Sunday morning, could affect mid-morning drive
Most of the rain will clear late Tuesday but there could be some lingering showers through Wednesday sunrise timeframe. It's only in effect for those two counties because that's where the highest snow and ice accumulations are possible.
Zubeida, a 50-year-old practitioner, who had performed over 500 procedures, said there is religious sanction and honour attached to the practice.
February 6 every year has been set aside by the United Nations to mark the International Day of Zero Tolerance for FGM across the world.
"Sustainable development can not be achieved without full respect for the human rights of women and girls", he upheld, reiterating SDG 5's target for FMG elimination.
"Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and Female Circumcision (FC) - also called khafz (or khafd) - are entirely different from each other".
- Type 3: When the clitoris, inner lips and outer lips are cut and sewn together or sealed, leaving only a small opening for urination and to release the girl or woman's period. The centre had filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court that there was no official data or study by the National Crime Records Bureau which supported the existence of Female Genital Mutilation in India.
Flu season worst on record in Spokane County
The holy grail, however, is a universal flu vaccine that would be effective against both seasonal and pandemic flu outbreaks. Nationwide, the Centers For Disease Control reports at least 53 children have died from the Flu so far this season.
The United Nations reported worrying statistics, highlighting just how out of hand the violent practice has become.
The top court is now hearing a writ petition seeking a ban on "the inhuman practice of "khatna" or FGM, also known as "female circumcision" or "khafd"... making it a cognisable, non-compoundable and non-bailable offence".
The practice has nothing to do with religion but is more of a cultural practice.
The report further reveals that globally, over 200 million women and girls are estimated to have undergone some form of genital mutilation and girls aged 14 and younger account for about 44 million of those who have been "cut".
Most of the efforts to eradicate FGM following this have focused on Africa, despite the ritual being widespread in Asia as well. It has no health benefits; only health damage, both physical and mental.
SCOTUS denies Pa. GOP lawmakers' try and delay drawing new congressional map
As Reason's Ron Bailey has pointed out , independent redistricting commissions tend to gerrymander just as much as legislators do. Those would first be used in a congressional primary - now set for May 15, although that date might be moved forward in the year.
- Lloyds Bank bans use of credit cards to buy Bitcoin
- Slippery roads today, snow advisory Monday
- Kim Kardashian West Said Kylie Jenner Was "Made to Be a Mom"
- SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket, the world's most powerful, soars into orbit
- Jeremy Corbyn joins calls for suffragettes to be pardoned
- 'Black Tuesday' at stock market: Why share prices came crashing down?
- Several Eagles players skipping White House visit after Super Bowl win
- Indian colts on top of the world
- Budget 2018 misses imp amendments in Real Estate Sector: Realty Players
- Sean Dyche delighted with steadfast Burnley after Manchester City draw